FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renewing Passport Questions
View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:55 am
Open Jaw

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by Rocky2
Also

Im currently in mexico now. Passport expires in less than 6 months. Will be flying back to usa where im from. However i plan to fly back to mexico in about a week. Will all airline not allow me to board to mexico from the usa if my passport expires in less than 6 months?

The thing is im planning to go back to the usa very soon. Then go back to mexico in a week or so but not sure if im allowed to even fly to mexico again because of this. The other thing is i will have to come back to the usa in november so i figure okay just tell customs in mexico stamp my passport till november then i leave to the usa then renew it while in the usa and wait.

Any advice on this?
You will not be allowed to fly with less than 6 months of validity on your passport. The airline checks this at check-in because the airline is responsible for returning you to the US if Mexico refuses you entry.

I used to live in Mexico and faced the issues you are facing now. I recommend that you return home, renew your passport, and then return to Mexico. The renewal will take more than a week unless you pay for expedited service.

As stated above, your current passport be cancelled by the US government when you renew it. You will get your cancelled passport back in the mail. Keep it forever and store it in a safe place.