FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renewing Passport Questions
View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:24 am
dukerau

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Rocky2
First off, is it true when you renew a passport, your current passport is no longer valid?
Yes, this is true

The thing is i believe u can renew passport online so if u do that, then you still have your passport right or do you need to mail it in? Also what about the current picture? I would want a new picture since my passport is well 10 years old and want a new one.
You cannot get a passport online, even a renewal. You can fill out the form online, print it, and mail it in. But you have to include your current passport, so you'll be without a passport during the processing time (more than your 1 week window).

The picture info may not be helpful to you since it sounds like your plan won't work, but you submit new pictures if you do the renewal by mail. The pictures must satisfy certain requirements, and the major drugstores will take the photo and provide the prints for you for a fee (~$12 IIRC). I've done DIY photos, following the guidelines strictly, for both my renewals. I loaded them to a drugstore's website for printing and local pickup. Both times the photo center person told me they would be rejected and I should have them do the pictures, and both times I had no issues. There are plenty of free/cheap apps nowadays that help you get it done cheaply. The one I used was free and just put six 2"x2" (passport size) photos in a 4"x6" image for easy printing.

I read that you could expedite getting your passport for extra. Has anyone done this? I read you could even have this done in one day with hefty fees. But waiting a week for it would be fine as well. How long does it take on average to receive new passport? The thing im most concerned with is can i still keep my current passport and use it when i go and have a passport renewed? If so... then there will be zero issues at all with everything since i can come back to usa, renew it, then leave... then just make sure i come back to usa again when my current passport expires later on.
There are third party companies that offer super expedited (one day, two day, etc) processing, but I have no experience with them.

It might be easiest to handle all of this wherever you are outside the US at the closest embassy or consulate: http://www.travel.state.gov/content/...ed-states.html. But you need to get on this now. Many countries will not allow you to enter without a passport with 6 months of validity (some more). So if you return to the US, which it sounds like you'll have to do soon due to the 180 day visitor limitation wherever you are, you may have to wait until you have a valid passport to leave again.