FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Free Windows 10 upgrade
View Single Post
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:16 pm
nkedel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by blackjack-21
I've got an older model Epson printer that I purchased at the same time as my HP desktop running Windows 7 Home, in 2011. The printer works well with W7, no problems at all. Got the MS offer to do the upgrade as many here have, but I thought I'd contact Epson to be sure my printer would still work with the Windows 10 when I installed it. Answer was that Epson's driver wouldn't work with W 10, and at this point in time they didn't anticipate upgrading their driver for that model.

Possibly newer Epson models might work (I don't know), but be sure your printer and possibly other add-ons don't get lost with the upgrade.
For printer drivers, if they have a driver for Windows 7 "won't work with Windows 10" just means they haven't tested it. The fundamental way printer drivers work hasn't changed since Vista and while it's untested, I would be very surprised if it actually didn't work.

Scanners are a much bigger problem, although even here, the biggest part of that was the transition to the new driver model in Vista and the change to 64-bit.

Also, for printers (less practical for scanners) it's very easy to just set up a VM to run the drivers; I have an old Canon photo printer where the driver support ended with XP and it's pretty easy to print from the XP mode VM that came with Windows 7 (although I am now running that VM on 8.1)