FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Radisson Rewards Elite experiences
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:20 am
CoweyB

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
Radisson Blu Grand Hotel, Sofia

What is your Club Carlson status?
Concierge

Where did you stay? (Brand, Location, Country)
Radisson Blu, Sofia, Bulgaria

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked standard, received an upgrade to a 'junior suite' but whilst it was a beautiful room with a balcony it was just a larger room. Their best rooms - all marked business class on the outside - are on the sixth floor and the only ones to have balconies with a very impressive view of the Parliament Building, St Alexander Nevskii Cathedral with gold cupolas and a statue of the 'Tsar Liberator' just outside the hotel.

Did you receive elite benefits?
Complimentary Room Upgrade?

Yes. Upgrade to their best class of room which accessed the business lounge which self-served canapés, wine, gin, whiskey and vodka for three hours early evening. I was also given a complimentary collection from the airport by hotel minibus. (The hotel is two minutes walk from Sv Kliment Ochridskii metro station on a direct line from Sofia airport. Tickets cost 1 lev (£0.36, €0.50, $0.58) so don't get a taxi...

Early Check In/Late Check Out - Yes about 30 minutes, check out not required
In-Room Welcome Gift - Yes, fruit plate and six bottles of water

How are the rooms?

The rooms are old style grand hotel but a bit more modern furniture - but without the quirky Radisson Blu touch. The sort of place your mother would love .

What was good and what was bad?
Good:
the balcony, tremendous view, the shower has six wall mounted taps in addition to main shower for a very invigorating shower.

Big bath (but took 20 minutes to fill).

Comfortable bed. They also offer an old-style shoe polishing service which is chargeable.

Nice walk-in dressing room/storage area in bathroom.
Heated bathroom floor- but see below.

Bad:
The pillows were too soft. I had to use three on the first night then when my partner arrived, a pillow and cushion from the settee.

The heated floor in bathroom doesn't extend to area in front of sink or to the WC area!

The double glazing isn't great you can hear traffic outside although it didn't keep me awake.

The hotel common areas are very dated - Radiason Blu has tried to update with some quirky features like a hall of mirrors and rope lighting on way to restaurant but it jars with the old fashioned setting. The Sense Hotel the other side of the square was much more funky and fun.

Value for money or Gold Points?

I got a 4 for 2 (increasingly rare to get this year and one of the remaining reasons I'm staying with Club Carlson) so I am only paying €130 a night. That makes it good value. If I had to pay that for four nights I wouldn't think it good value

Would you return?
If I got a 2 for 1 or 4 for 2 deal probably. The hotel needs to be modernised to stay in the race.