FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The New Pier F Lounge
View Single Post
Old Jun 20, 2015, 7:04 am
iluvdoco

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I have been in the Pier First Class Lounge for two hour so far this evening (still here now, waiting to go to AKL). Got in at 5:00pm, and the Lounge was surprising quiet. Did not notice that many people here.

Went to take a shower first. The showers remind me a lot of the bathrooms in Park Hyatt Shanghai. Very nice decor and high-class. Aesop amenities abound: 500mL bottles of Hand Wash, Hand Balm, Body Wash, Shampoo, and Conditioner. 250mL bottles of Face Wash and Facial Toner. And a small "sample" pack of face cream. Surprisingly, no Body Balm. The towels are nice and fluffy. Water temperature and pressure are good. There is only one bench inside the room, which I was not sure whether it was for sitting on or as a luggage rack.

The day rooms are accessed via a corridor further behind the hallway with the showers. I haven't visited there yet. Will go there after finishing this post.

After my shower, had dinner at the Dining Room. The decor reminds me very much of the Steakhouse at InterContinental Hong Kong. Again, very elegant. There does not seem to be a buffet section here; everything is ordered a la carte. There were have a dozen starter options, two soups, half dozen mains, and four desserts. I ended up having (1) Vietnamese glass noodle salad with prawns; (2) clear vegetable soup; (3) angus beef burger; (4) panna cotta with passion fruit jelly and lemon sorbet.

Walked around for a few minutes, and noticed that there is a Pantry with a buffet selection of sandwiches, salads, and drinks.

The bar and open seating area are VERY NICE and elegant. Haven't spent any time there yet.

I used to dread having gate assignments in the 60's, but now I am looking forward to it. The Pier First Class Lounge beats the same at the Wing hands down.
Thanks for your thoughts!

2 questions:

1) How is the shower stall design? Does water splash onto the floor outside like in the Wing cabanas and CX Arrival shower suites?

2) How is the a la carte food? Is it still being catered by The Peninsula? I found both the buffet and a la carte food at The Haven in the Wing lounge to be terribly disappointing.