FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United 787-9 (non-Polaris seat)
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:03 pm
USHPNWDLUA

Programs: UA-GS, Hyatt-Defiantly Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Originally Posted by songzm
1K, but I don't know what kind of the procedure FA will follow on 789. On my 788 flights I've seen FA took order from 1A-3A, then 1L to 3L. I want to make sure when they got to me all choices are still available
I've flown the 789 ex-PVG a couple dozen times, and I've never once heard them ask any passenger for a second meal choice. Further, the FA that takes the order from the left side is not always the same as takes the right side. When not the same, they seem to start in each section as schedule and workload permits (rather random timing). When the purser takes orders, s/he may serve the entire front first, then the back, or may take orders left all the way, then right. They seem to take orders most often in the entire front of the plane, because they do it while coach passengers are filling the plane by entering thru the rear J cabin (this alone is the best reason to sit in the front cabin).

Still, there's no way to predict it. For service, from the front galley, one FA handles the left side rows 1-4, another right 1-4, and from the rear J galley, one FA serves left side 5-8 (in the two cabins), one the remaining. In all cases, the FA serves the window and two aisles on each side.

I've never not gotten my choice, and FWIW, I've never witnessed someone not getting his/her choice.

Bottom line- I suggest the front cabin, left side, and not worrying over the choice.