FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:19 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tylerc
I've read through a bit and still have questions - I am travelling on an AA award flight from YYZ to PPT with a stop at LAX. The YYZ-LAX segment is on a Sunday night and the LAX - PPT is mid-day on the monday (<24hrs, considered one continuous award flight). The LAX - PPT segment is in J (well, the whole award is J but the YYZ-LAX segment doesn't have J space, so for now we are in Y). My question is: will we have access to the AA lounge at YYZ prior to departing for LAX? I asked an AA agent and they seemed to think yes because it is an international J ticket, but I am not so sure since the J portion of the ticket is not the same day. Anyone have experience with a similar situation that could weigh in? If it makes any difference, LAX-PPT is on Air Tahiti Nui.
Thanks in advance!
Originally Posted by tylerc
Since coming back is part of an international itinerary, with domestic and international J (international on TN), would that get me lounge access at LAX and ORD?

Their lounge rules are a bit confusing...*A is much more straight forward!
They're pretty clear, though different than Star Alliance.

You have no qualifying flight activity for oneworld or AA lounge access.

1) You may be arriving internationally on Air Tahiti Nui, but TN is not a oneworld member or affiliate, so this sector is not germane. (Your award flight is on a TN flight number, but if you were flying TN as an AA codeshare, it would still not qualify.)

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
2) Neither you flights between Canada and the USA nor your USA flights grant AA lounge access.

...are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 19, 2015 at 3:28 pm Reason: Add bits