FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA958 Jun 12 '15: MX @ ORD, Diverts to YYR for 2nd MX, Pax Housed @ Military Barracks
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:36 am
FlyWorld

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Given that UA (and other airline) flights divert to YYR on a somewhat regular basis, I wonder why the airline doesn't at least have a contract and procedures in place with the service company that runs the civilian side of YYR to provide something for passengers beyond the military barracks and mess hall? They could easily arrange for pizza and beer deliveries to the barracks and to have additional blanket brought out of storage and distributed to displaced passengers (who should have also been instructed to bring their blankets from the aircraft when deplaning at YYR even if only to use for sitting on the floor in the initial processing building before returning the items to UA after leaving YYR).
I've heard conflicting reports.

Some reports said that the pax were forced to endure extremely long periods with no food.

Other reports said that the military gave multiple choice warm meals to the pax.

Which is the truth?

Did the pax get fed properly 3 meals per day?

It's clear they got at least one or two military meals.

So, I'm not sure what the gap is.

Personally, I'd rather have a nourishing and substantial military meal that be forced to survive on beer and pizza. It sounds like the capability to provide pax with the same food as soldiers, already exists. So, I'm not sure where the gap is here.

Military food might not be featured in the "top 50 restaurant guide" but it's nutritious enough to keep soldiers strong and healthy enough for training and battles. And, I'd rather have bland but nourishing food than to be forced to eat chemicals, alcohol, and sugar and other processed foods that are devoid of nutrition.