FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:25 am
Esbenersej12

Hi there,

I have done some extensive research regarding a tourist/study trip to North Korea/China. This had lead me to FlyerTalk, and I hope some kind soul can answer my question. Please, bear with me, as I try to explain:

I am from Denmark, and as part of a student exchange program i will study in China for a semester. However, before i start the studies I am researching possible solutions to a planned tourist trip into North Korea. I will travel via this route:

CPH->DUS->AUH->PEK

According to my travel plan I will be in Beijing at 8:50AM local time the 22nd of august

At 01:00 PM, the 25th of august, I will travel to Pyonyang (Northkorea) with a local tourist company. This is around 76 hours between the flights.

PEK->Pyonyang

5 days later I will be travelling back to Beijing by train.

When I arrive in Beijing, the first time, I will apply for a 72 hour TWOV, providing the following documents:
- air ticket for pyongyang + visa for Northkorea
- hotel booking in Beijing

As far as I can read, this is legitimate because the 72 hours count from 00.01 AM the day after arrival in Beijing. Do you agree? I can think of a situation where they wont grant the TWOV because they can see it doesn't meet the 72 hour requirement.

Also, as I need to enter China again to study, after I have been in pyonyang, I will be in possison of an X2 visa with single entry (unfortunetly the Chinese consulate in Denmark, doesn't issue double entry visas). This visa I don't want to use when i enter China the first time! Do I simply tell this, where i apply for TWOV? I am afraid they will deny the TWOV as I already have a valid visa, and then stamp this instead.

Thank you very much for your time - I have been reading alot here at FlyerTalk, and must say I am impressed with the knowledge base here. Please ask, if you have any questins, or is missing any information I might have missed.