FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:52 pm
char777

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by blueman2
You nailed it with the OAK comparision. EWR is a nasty airport with nasty employees in an inconvenient location to NYC. Just like OAK to San Francisco. For people who live near EWR, this is a win, of course.

Just shows that when it comes to competing with other airlines, UA runs for the hills. Or, in this case, for EWR.
I actually think OAK is a really bad comparison. I may be biased since I'm from the East Bay and OAK is a lot closer, but OAK is a great airport. Have you been there recently? The renovated terminals are actually quite nice now (not as nice as SFO T3 Boarding E, but 10x better than Boarding F), security is always a breeze, and with the new BART extension, SFO and OAK are roughly equidistant from downtown SF. OAK is another market that UA retreated from post-merger, and a lot of people (myself included) were sad to see it go, as it was a welcome alternative to SFO.

I can't speak for EWR as it's actually the one NYC airport that I've never flown into, but to me, EWR seems to be more inconvenient to get to from Manhattan than OAK is from downtown SF.