FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SAN / San Diego Int'l. Airport AirSpace Lounge / "Admirals Club" (master thread)
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:56 pm
anabolism

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by N1120A
Having been in there a few times now, I've never seen it crowded.
Last time I was in there it was totally packed, no seats. I believe it was because one AA flight had been delayed. But other times it's been very open and nice.

As for the LAX-SAN flights, if they are cancelled, they will likely bus you. The distance is short enough that it makes sense for the plane to be re-accommodated that way. I'd imagine an elite could get a seat on the next flight, assuming that it was not faster to sit in a bus.
Back when they used props rather than RJs, it was not uncommon to have a flight cancelled due to fog. A few times the flight was cancelled early enough that I could rent a car one-way and drive myself to LAX in plenty of time. But there were occasions when the flight was cancelled after I got to the airport and AA arranged a shuttle to drive everyone to LAX. That time we all missed our flight. It's 2.5-3 hours to drive if you don't hit bad traffic, so starting that run at the time a 40 minute flight is supposed to depart pretty much guarantees problems. But, as I said, I have not experienced a cancellation since the switch to RJs a few years back.

I'm guessing it made more financial sense to make this deal with AirSpace. I do wonder if they saw a large percentage of AMEX access at SAN. If so, it likely made sense for AA to sublet the lounge to AirSpace after they ended their deal with AMEX, with the caveat that they keep staff there for their PAX (something JL definitely and maybe BA does as well). This way, you keep your people happy, but don't worry as much about the loss of a revenue source.
My understanding was that AA wanted to keep their lounge, but the airport forced them to cooperate a shared space (or nothing).

It may be only "Expedited" but that means you don't have a chance at secondary (The T2 scanners are bad in the morning for that) and they seem to have decent (for TSA anyway) staff in Commuter.
Are you saying that people are pulled out of the Pre-Check lane in T2 and given secondary, but that this never happened with Pre-Check Light in the commuter terminal? I'm confused; wouldn't true Pre-Check in T2 always be a better experience that Pre-Check Light in the Commuter?