FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:26 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been roaming around (a part of) western Norway for almost a week now, using my all-types-EMV Barclay AA Aviator card for everything except hotels, and up to now it's always been processed as signature (restaurants, ferries, museums, stores) where there's a human (including with a handheld terminal). I even ran into no-signature-no-PIN transcations at parking meters. (I even saw a swipe-only parking meter in a garage in Alesund, but I didn't end up using it, because there was street parking nearer at the same price by the time Monday morning rolled along and street parking was no longer free).

Finally tonight, around 9:30 pm on a lonely road a bit north of Geiranger I pass one of the Bunker gas stations that advertises "24 hour automatic kiosk" on their signs. I had only driven 100kms since my last fill-up, so I didn't really need gas, but I decided to try it for the EMV fun. And, yes, it was PIN-requiring, and it worked with the PIN which I'd set on the Barclay web site (and which I'd "armed" at a Wal-Mart a few days before leaving for Norway).

I'm not sure if it was online or offline, but it took a handful of seconds to authorize. It printed out these fields on the receipt:
Anskaffe NET5
STAN xxxxxx
Kort ID: xxxxxx
Autorisasjonkode xxxxxx
Aooroved
SessionKode 157
BAX xxxxxxxx-xxxxxx
AID A000000000xxxxx
AC [16 hex characters]

Stasjonsnummer 0017
Kvittering nr. [a very long number that goes on for two lines on the receipt]
Can anyone figure out from those fields whether it used online or offline PIN?