FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016]
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:52 am
fletchbo

Programs: SPG, SW Air, AA, all of'em!
Originally Posted by CDO
how do you upgrade? and does it involved another hp?
In my experience, it can take 1 - 2 mos to receive the Sig card, after requesting it to upgrade from Plat. First, the upgrade wastes ANOTHER inquiry. Second, by the time you get the Sig, you are nearly ready to begin another 3 mo cycle churn for 2 new Sig applications, so why waste an inquiry on one upgrade, when you can apply for TWO Sig cards one month after getting the upgraded Sig, and only use ONE inquiry? I close my old Alaska cards 7 - 30 days before applying again to make sure all credit freed up for max results with new appls.

AND yes, in my last round of Alaska apps last week (4BM), one app was instant approval.

Then I called in 10 mins after submission; first rep with a rough "New England accent" noted there is a one app still pending ... and gave me the "max of 2 cards per 90 days" story; so I just have to WAIT til that one was approved; so I hung up and called back ... next rep said a third appl was considered a duplicate, and would I like it "re-opened and approved?" Sure!

So, two apps approved first day (first - instant, second - via recon) and third app (still pending on app day) approved automatically, or via manual review 4 days later ?

BUT here is the weird part: first card: 17K CL inst approval; second and third cards: 5 K CL each, NOT split off from first card.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bottom line: be content with 2 approvals for Sig on day one of apps, and if you get more than that, it is luck!
If you get a Plat, just stay with it and wait 3 mos for next round of apps.

Spend $1K fast, get stmt credit; wait 3 mos, close all accts, staggered, no more than one per day. Wait at least 7 days, logging into online acct to ensure old accts not showing, then re-apply!

Last edited by fletchbo; Jun 11, 2015 at 7:15 am Reason: new info