FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Airline to launch Transcon routes out of YHM by end of Summer, how will AC react?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:57 pm
Ben Lipsey
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by zorn
You think we don't understand your business? All of us put together take thousands of flights per year. The fact is that Tango was a complete total failure as an airline and a brand.

That is why the word "Tango" has not been heard in relation to any airline ticket purchased in as long as anyone can remember. Seriously, when is the last time anyone saw "Tango" associated with Air Canada?

I challenge you or any other AC employee to show me anywhere on the AC website any relationship between this archaic so-called "Tango" concept and anything related to the concept of fewest features and most restricted economy class only travel geared to the low yield traveller.
I actually can't tell if this post is facetious or not lol If so, bravo!

Either way you hit the nail square on the head. Tango was an huge experiment (and gamble) back in the days of bundled airfare and Saturday night stay requirements that completely unbundled every conceivable option - you wanted a restricted fare? You got it. You didn't want a seat assignment or a meal? Ok, don't pay for it. You want one way fares? So be it.

Essentially Tango quite successfully proved that fares could be simplified into a set of products that each offered a unique set of attributes. The cost conscious may not care about flexibility, so we offered a product that suited their needs.

When we folded Tango into mainline, it wasn't because the brand failed. The legacy of Tango lives on, not only eponymously in our lowest fare category, but also across the industry as airlines looked to Air Canada and realized the previous one-size-fits-all model could be deconstructed and each customer segment could be served individually. Truly, and without being cliché, the Tango experiment revolutionized the airline industry.

Last edited by Ben Lipsey; Jun 9, 2015 at 9:09 pm