FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gift Card Fraud !!!
View Single Post
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:41 am
momoneylessproblems

two postst that i read today regarding gc fraud

A Scary Story

Last night I received an email from Paul about a nightmare he had when purchasing a Metabank variable load Visa gift card at a local grocery store here in Las Vegas. He has been around this hobby for awhile and makes sure to check the packaging in case it has been tampered with.

After verifying the packaging was 100% in tact, he paid for his gift card and went to Walmart to liquidate it. At that point the card was denied and he noticed that four of the digits of the card number were scratched off. He also was eventually able to verify that the magnetic strip was cleaned of any data. The card was worthless and useless.

Here is what happened in his words:

So something happened to me today you might want to warn you readers about. I bought a 500.00 card today, I always make sure it has not been tampered with and the bar code is still covered. Well went to load it at Walmart and noticed 4 of the digits had been scratched off the card and the magnetic strip was wiped clean. It would not swipe of course. I went back to the store to show the manager and we proceeded to open that last 3 on the shelf and same thing with all of them.

http://milestomemories.boardingarea....ift-card-scam/

Cashiers pocketing gift cards

This happened to a friend of mine while we were both purchasing $200 Visa gift cards at Staples in New York. We were at two different cashiers next to each other. I purchased my card without any problems. He had to go and pick up another gift card, since one of the gift cards he had picked up, had a ripped off tab in the back. The cashier proceeded with the scanning, he swiped his credit card, signed and we left.

The next day, when he was trying to load the cards at Walmart, one of the Visa gift cards didn’t work. He called the number in the back and was told that the card was never activated. He checked the receipt, and that gift card was the only one that didn’t match any of the numbers in the receipt.

We went back to the Staples together. Talked to a manager and he started looking through the remaining Visa gift cards to look for the number that was on the receipt. The gift card wasn’t in the rack or in the back where they have the items that are to be restocked.

Remember the card with the ripped off tab? The cashier said she just threw it in the basket they had for items that people bring to the register, but don’t purchase. But it was nowhere to be found. I’m positive that the cashier pocketed the $200 through that gift card, and I think the manager realized it too. He was extremely helpful. He stayed on the phone for 15-20 minutes until he resolved the issue and gave my friend a new $200 Visa gift card.

Best way to avoid such problems? Always check your receipt and make sure that all numbers match.

https://dannydealguru.wordpress.com/...cams-be-alert/

i had never heard on this type of fraud before. and i've been lucky so far. no major problems with fraud