FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WSJ: United Sent Safety Warning to Pilots
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:42 pm
eng3

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by tuolumne
I think that's an overly simplistic black and white perspective...it sounds nice, and simple enough, but in practice, the culture drives performance, and if the culture is one of bottom line (which I've suspected it was ever since 2011 based on a handful of UAL pilots I've known for decades), mistakes happen.
I completely agree. A company culture can have a profound affect on its employees. A culture that is more focused on the bottom line than safety is just asking for trouble. It's happened so many times in the past. Ofcourse pilots have responsibilities too, but the company culture affects things like training. Poor or inadequate training affects the pilots ability to do their job safely.
Just saying pilots aren't paying attention and putting all the blame on this is short sighted. When that plane crashed at SFO, you wouldn't put all the blame on the pilot. The core cause flows back to the way the company is being run and management is in charge of that.

Are the specific incidents posted anywhere? I'd be interesting in finding out the details.