FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What exactly qualifies for going under a general license
Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:21 am
DallyingDingo

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
If you're discovered returning from Cuba via a third country would it jeopardize your U.S. immigration status? Remember, it's impossible now for Americans truly to go undetected. Cuba stamps all passports on entry and exit. There's no hiding that you've been there.
Well, I'm on an Australian passport and there is a chance they won't stamp it. I note they are stamping US passports as a matter of policy, but I'm not sure if they would stamp an Aussie passport or not.

From all the research I have done the penalty is a fine. I don't think I would be risking my resident status, but it is a remote possibility (although I am unsure how remote) and so I don't know the risk is worth taking. I am still deciding.

I hear this a lot. What are these big changes that are coming? If McDonald's eventually opens in Havana and you object on principle, you don't go in. It's that simple. The average Cuban will never be able to afford to eat at the place. I really think such changes are still a long way off.
I have no experience with a situation directly like this, although I have been to just over 40 countries, and spent about seven years just basically backpacking, and wandering the earth for lack of a better phrase. I've seen a lot of countries and cities/towns change over time.

My understanding of Cuba at the moment is that it is somewhat stuck in time, and all the cars and technology is quite old. As the embargo decreases and is eventually lifted, I think Cuba will modernize quite quickly, and the economy will change as many people start to cater to the influx of American tourists.

I might be wrong, and it might not change drastically very fast, but I would much rather be able to see it just in case, because I do believe there is a high probability that it will change. Perhaps not drastically, but certainly noticeably.