FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Access to legal counsel at port of entry
View Single Post
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:16 pm
saizai

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
ORD to Asia
I'm not aware of any authority to restrict cash going out of the country, or any other CBP screening when leaving the US, though I'm not certain on it. FinCEN 105 at least applies only to money coming into the US >$10k.

Continued to question us about what we do, why traveling, who is paying for trip, etc.
CBP can ask you whatever they want, if you were entering the US. AFAIK, you don't have to answer any questions, except for basic customs declaration on entry.

If you're not a US national / citizen, you can get turned away at the border for any reason. If you are one, you can't, though your stuff is subject to search & seizure.

On return was a surprise with SSS on my boarding pass.
It's possible that the scrutiny was because you were on a watchlist when you got to CBP, rather than the other way around.

Can you please tell me if our rights were violated or this was unlawful or anything you find strange?
I cannot. I am not a lawyer, I am not your lawyer, and I cannot give you any legal advice or opinion. I can only give information (to the best of my totally not official knowledge), not something about your particular situation.