FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Access to legal counsel at port of entry
View Single Post
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:55 pm
Blueskyheaven

Originally Posted by saizai
Not correct. Rather, "reasonable" is a laxer standard at the border.

CBP can make ordinary searches without suspicion, but need reasonable suspicion for intrusive searches (e.g. forensic computer search).
Can you comment on the following and whether what the CBP did was right?
We were (FAMILY OF 3) about to board an outbound flight at ORD to Asia. 2 CBP officers (a female & a male officer) standing inside along side the flight crew checking to make sure all had boarding pass. The CBP officers were there to catch undeclared excessive cash I guess who know what else. While walking in line with other passenger to board, The female officer condescendingly, in angry and rude tone asked us asked how much we had and we had only $300, the officer said you can carry up to $5K. Took our passports. Asked to give her our carry on bags, wife's hand bag, jackets, baby's diaper bag. Searched everything inside including inside my wallet, her purse. Ordered us to write down the $300 cash we had with us and both of our signatures on a piece of paper she had with her. Continued to question us about what we do, why traveling, who is paying for trip, etc. There were at least 200 passenger walking in front and behind us to board during the search. I saw & heared the male officer asked one man how much cash he had and that he can carry up to $5k, the man replied, $5k. The male officer quickly looked inside his shoulder bag, no personal questions or anything else asked and the man was gone in just few seconds.
After not finding anything she wanted to find, she took down my passport info on piece of paper, didn't look at us , didn't say a word and gave back our passports. The whole search & questioning took about 15 mins.I first thought about talking to her but feared this would result in missing the flight after she gets really really mad and screw everything. We kept calm. Later we knew the officer was incorrect in the amount people were allowed to carry out. it is 10K max, not $5k. We don't have any criminal record. On return was a surprise with SSS on my boarding pass.

Can you please tell me if our rights were violated or this was unlawful or anything you find strange? Thanks for your honest opinion.

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Jun 5, 2015 at 2:03 pm