FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:12 pm
KRSW

Chase's Auto Rental CDW

Straight from the Chase terms (https://www.chasebenefits.com/unitedVW1)
The Auto Rental CDW benefit provides reimbursement for damage due to collision or theft up to the actual cash value of most rental vehicles. It is primary coverage which means you do not have to file a claim with any other source of insurance before you can receive coverage under this benefit.

Covered losses are:
•Physical damage and/or theft of the covered rental vehicle
•Valid loss-of-use charges assessed by the rental company while the
damaged vehicle is being repaired and is not available for use, as
substantiated in the company’s fleet utilization log
•Reasonable and customary towing charges related to a covered
loss to take the vehicle to the nearest qualified repair facility
IMPORTANT: "Decline the rental company’s collision damage waiver or similar provision if it is offered to you. The company may refer to the collision damage waiver as CDW or LDW in their contract or when speaking with you. If you accept the collision damage waiver offered by the rental company, you will not be eligible for Auto Rental CDW." -- Bolding is Chase's, not mine.
Traditionally, credit card CDW coverage is secondary, ie: your own personal auto insurance pays out first (or the credit card insurer will pursue your personal insurance directly) and whatever remaining balance that isn't covered by your personal auto insurance will be covered by the credit card. Even Amex Plat is only secondary coverage. Chase is different in this.

As far as paperwork goes, it would be the same as with any accident. It's always a good idea to document EVERYTHING. When I pick up a rental car, I usually take photos of everything. Front, sides, back, roof, interior. Note the roof, especially with SUVs/minivans. Rental agencies love to find mysterious damage there which didn't exist. I intentionally make sure the rental agency's staff sees me doing this. Likewise, when I return the car I go through the same procedure. Even at known dodgy rental locations, I've not had an agency claim damage to a car after I do this.

Chase's verbiage on documentation:
Also, enclose all the documents you received from the car rental
company.
You should ask the rental company for these documents
immediately at the time of the theft or damage or when you return the
vehicle to the company:
• A copy of the Accident Report Form and claim document: this
should indicate the costs you are responsible for and any amounts
that have been paid toward the claim
• A copy of the entire auto rental agreement(s)
• A copy of the repair estimate or itemized repair bill
• Two (2) photographs of the damaged vehicle, if available
• A police report, if obtainable
• Any other documentation deemed necessary, in the Benefit
Administrator’s sole discretion, to substantiate the claim