FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - North Island in Seychelles?
View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:42 am
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
bhrubin, if there is diving around north island, what kind of value might that be, having it be included in rates? i would think the (complimentary) half day boat trips could also be diving. although sounds like youre saying seychelles diving isnt good. laucala only includes 'inner reef' (and not courses) and wakaya has dropped from IIRC 2 dives per day to now being per stay. not sure re brando included excursions.
Thanks for letting me know about the Wakaya change to 1 dive per person per stay, I hadn't realized that! Wakaya is close to some world class diving, so it's still worth it to us. Laucala is closest to the Great White Wall of all the luxe resorts in Fiji, and that is among the top 10 dives in the world, which is why we'd favor Laucala (and Fiji in general), not to mention Fiji is an easier 11 hr nonstop from LAX for us.

Seychelles diving isn't bad...it just isn't known for the bigger pelagics that we most enjoy seeing. For those who dive and enjoy seeing lots of different types of smaller fish in an aquarium feeling setting, I'm sure the Seychelles offers wonderful dive experiences. We just prefer the bigger critters. If we're already going to be in East Africa, we'd consider the Seychelles, but we'd be hard pressed to not simply go to Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, which is another of the top 10 diving spots in the world (we were last there in 2001, and it was perhaps the best place we've ever dived thus far, along with Belize and its Blue Hole). And Zanzibar, especially off Menmba Island, is another amazing dive locale, among the best in East Africa, but with more likely sightings of the bigger pelagics we most enjoy.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jun 4, 2015 at 10:58 am