FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:09 pm
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by kramtruk
Hi All,

This is my first time posting on Flyertalk and hoping to find some advice. I'm looking at the following itinerary and want to know if it qualifies for the 72 hours transit visa:

July 31: RDU-LAX-KIX
August 12: HND-SHA
August 14: PVG-LAX-RDU

I called CIBT, a visa consulting group. They said it would be at the determination of the immigration officer if I would qualify for the transit visa since I didn't come direct from the U.S..

What do you think? Thank you for your responses.
Hi and welcome to FT!

Yes you qualify for TWOV.

Chinese immigration will look at your immediate arriving and departing flights, which in your case are HND-Shanghai-LAX. This is arriving and departing to two different countries. Arriving in to SHA and departing PVG is fine.

Contrary to CIBT's inference, TWOV is not an exclusive service only offered to American citizens departing the USA. It is available to eligible passport holders from a range of countries, no matter where they depart or arrive from.

Check the wiki at the top of this thread to make sure you qualify for all other requirements (nationality etc).