FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:56 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I just want to be clear that 2017 is the deadline for both American gas stations and kiosks? If so, I suspect banks will cease issuing stripe cards around then at all, essentially forcing merchants to go EMV or lose sales within a couple of years. I've seen 2020 thrown out as when "analysts" feel 100% EMV will be realistic.

As for restaurants, they'll either have to get a portable terminal (or two if they're a place with lots of card use vs. cash), or place a customer-facing unit near the register or a central location. My guess would be that disabling PIN would be discouraged; instead, banks would prefer cards not leave the clients' possession.
2017 is just for gas pumps. Kiosks are supposed to be upgraded this October like almost everyone else. (ATMs have a 2016 deadline IIRC.)

Also, the magstripe isn't going to go away for a very long time. I doubt the VGC and MGC issuers in this country are going to want to add chips to their cards.