FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MS for tuition?
Thread: MS for tuition?
View Single Post
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:05 am
JShLin

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Dis, IHG Gold.
MS for tuition?

Hello, I have a quick question, regarding manufactured spend, and if Its worth it in my specific situation.

I have a United Explorer card from Chase (in my name), which, as you probably know, has a $25K spend waiver for premier qualifications - and I will in all probability hit 50K miles for the first time this year. The Prem Silver PQD ($2500 last year) I could always get; $6000 is a bit much.
But! I also happen to be a college student, and my University takes Visa as a form of payment. Now, by breaking it up slightly, I can pay my tuition bill through this card, and not only get UA miles, but also quickly hit that spend waiver at the beginning of the year. However, my question is this. I've read and heard elsewhere that the CC companies, that is Chase, are highly suspicious of people spending more than (or 50% of) their declared incomes on their CCs. Indeed, my income, as a student, isn't great. However, my parents are willing to foot the tuition bill, in whatever format, in exchange for a not discussed post graduation boon.
Should I do this, or some other route for MS?