FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip report: Six Senses Ninh Van Bay, Vietnam
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:04 am
offerendum
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by xracer
When we were there in 2006, the resort looked pretty much as is does in your pictures. Doesn't mean no maintenance has been done, but they've not tried to move away from their ultra-rustic design.

We loved how secluded and untouched it felt. We were in a water villa and also found them very private. But there were things about the villa that we did not like (I wonder if they have changed any of these?). For example, the bathroom was completely open-air. And while there were no mosquitoes that I recall, there were lots of other flying insects. I still recall trying to shower and getting bombarded by wasps and other flying things. Even in the bedroom, we did not have much luck with the air conditioning. It 'worked', but it was just a tiny wall unit and struggled with the blazing Vietnam heat. At that time, it was not a place to go if you needed relatively cool interior spaces.

I recall enjoying the food. At least until I got a mild case of food poisoning and was in bed for 24 hours.

When we were there, service was good, but as with you, English was a problem for some. Our butler was also very good. This is one of the few places I've stayed that had butler service that actually worked well.

I recall having a conversation with the GM (who at the time was very good, but is probably long gone) and he referred to the resort as 'luxury camping'. I would agree with this assessment.

But if you like the style, the place is hard to beat (especially if the price is right). All things considered, I preferred our stay at their Con Dao property (especially if you can get in to one of their residences).
OK, the rustic design is the concept and under my impression people liked it. Our bathroom was fully enclosed, one other advantage of the Hillside Villas. Did you stay in Water Villa 5?

We hadnīt really problems with aircondition, but it wasnīt the best I met in my life. No issue for us as we donīt need a "cool" room.

Iīm still not sure if I will try another Six Senses. It was a nice experience and I enjoyed the rustic charme, but I donīt know if I Need it every vacation. My wife like to do Soneva Kiri when we will do Thailand. I think itīs even more rustic. Also you have to fly in a small plane with only 15 kg lagguage (why do I fly F?).....