FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada introduces zoned boarding
View Single Post
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:11 am
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
YYC continues to get things right. AC217 boarded Zone 1 separately on Saturday. AC164 boarded Zone 1 separately just now. The two flights at adjacent gates boarded all 5 zones separately, with families with small children between 2 and 3. Keep it up, YYC GAs!

Originally Posted by vernonc
Were these Aeroplan tickets ? I noticed that when I booked my family on Aeroplan with my SE/IKK on one PNR and did not enter their Aeroplan numbers they all got zone 1. When I entered Aeroplan numbers for each of them (even though no AQM) their boarding passes defaulted to zones 3-5. So I assume the system defaults to each pax status even on the same PNR. Maybe someone else has a different experience.
Nope, Tango tickets. Her AE number was on the PNR. Both BPs Zone 1 on the outbound from YYC the day before. No logic as to why it wouldn't work on the return.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
It wasn't bad with only four of them, but it was against policy, which is very explicit about zone 0 being for wheelchairs.

And if the agents train themselves to do it that way through habit, what happens on flights where 50% of the passengers feel they need extra time? Because I've seen that on United. It destroys any semblance of priority boarding.
Yup. I might have posted this somewhere already, but flew UA a couple months ago and an entire extended family (~15 people) boarded before group 1, all because granny walked slowly. Most were very able-bodied adults or teenagers.