FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chip and Signature cards/Dines not posting
Old May 28, 2015, 2:13 pm
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Sorry to bring back this thread from the dead but apparently RN does support EMV/chip, at least when a phone or card is tapped. Here's the receipt (note the AID line at bottom, which is required when a chip-based transaction is run):

According to the email I also earned 44 miles from eating there, which is expected based on the purchase amount above. I used Apple Pay but I would imagine that inserting a physical card would have worked too.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Also they're doing this out of your sight? I'd love to see what they do with a PIN-priority card like Diners Club US MC* (which demands a pin even for a $1 purchase at Wal-Mart, where all signature-priority EMV cards typically don't ask for a signature if the purchase is below $50). The whole point of EMV in restaurants is that they're supposed bring the terminal to you (or you to the terminal) and have you insert the card, so that in case it's a PIN-priority card you can key in the PIN. (EMV terminals at restaurants also tend to prompt for the tip, expecting it to decided before the card is pulled out, as opposed to swipe where it's decided after the card is swiped.)

*PIN-priority chip cards are rare in the US, but they're very common in some European countries, so a restaurant should expect to get them eventually once it enables EMV, especially if in a more "cosmopolitan" US city.
FWIW I went to a non-RN restaurant in the US that had upgraded their card reader. With the Diner's Club card I had to go to the back kitchen/employee only area to enter the PIN. Had I used a chip and signature card it likely would have worked like swipe cards do now, where they take the card from you and bring it back with a signature slip. We'll see what happens but it doesn't look promising that we'll see the portable readers in any significant capacity.