FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta.com Flubs it Again
View Single Post
Old May 28, 2015, 1:15 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLFan2
I had booked an award trip for my wife using miles from my account. I did this several months ago. I decided to try to upgrade the trip to First. Pulled up her itinerary and clicked on "Change" . Then selected the segment to upgrade. Several options were then displayed for the front cabin. I selected one. Next I was asked to enter the SM account originally used to book the flight so that the additional miles needed for the upgrade could be collected. This I did. I confirmed the information, then got a "confirmed" message.

I then went back to her list of flights and discovered that her original coach reservation was still listed instead of her upgraded itinerary.

Went through the process one more time. Same result.
The third time will do it, I thought. Wrong!
I went to my account to check what was going on with my miles.

My account showed that on the first booking attempt, the miles I had originally used to book the trip had been returned, and then the trip was rebooked in coach, but using 7,500 fewer miles than originally used!

The second and third attempts simply showed a re-deposit of the miles followed by a deduction of the same number of miles for each attempt.

Finally I had to call the Medallion line to get it all straightened out.

In the end, I ended up spending 7,500 fewer miles for the upgrade than I had expected (the Good), but was unable to accomplish the upgrade online (the Bad).

Anyone else experience this little glitch?
I don't understand your math here. To make the numbers easy, let's say you initially paid 27,500 miles for the coach ticket, now the coach ticket costs 20,000 miles and FC 50,000 miles.

Before your adventure with delta.dumb, you paid 27,500 for the ticket.

This was redeposited and you got a new coach ticket for 20,000.

The 20,000 ticket was redeposited and you got a different coach ticket for 20,000. Repeat.

Now call and the 20,000 coach ticket is redeposited. Then you pay 50,000 for the FC ticket. Net cost: 50,000, NOT 50,000 - 7,500. The lower price for the new coach ticket you didn't want doesn't affect how much you ended up paying for the FC ticket.

In fact, at today's prices, the difference between FC and coach is 7,500 miles MORE than it was based on the comparison with your older and more expensive coach ticket.