FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Money stolen under baggage storage - what should I do?
Old May 27, 2015, 4:11 pm
scented

Originally Posted by calguy77
I have worked in the hotel industry for a very long time and have had numerous claims that money has been stolen or taken from someone room, bag, purse, wallet, etc...

You have to understand this, the amount of people that know that complaining or fabricating stories will get them something for free these days has gotten so out of control. We now have to keep our guard up. Over the last couple years it has gotten so out of control that we now have to over question guests when there is an issue, we've had to become detectives and it really sucks. It not only harms people with legitimate issues but makes customer service that much more difficult.

The maid stole my diamond ring, you need to comp my stay (lets call the cops, no no no no, just comp my stay, no proof of even owning a diamond ring)

a bellman broke my camera, comp my stay ( the bellman didn't even touch their baggage, we track what rooms use the bellman)

my toilet was running all night and I couldn't sleep, give me a free room (engineering checks the toilet, it's not running, everything works fine)

The list goes on and on.

Yes, there are certain times when we screw up and we will do what ever is in our power to make your stay the best it can be. Everything we do at my property is focused on the guest experience. I will do ANYTHING to make a guest happy.

But, The hotel will never apologize unless there is 100% proof that the hotel is at fault. If we know that without a responsible doubt we are at fault we will do whatever we can to fix the situation.

We have cameras in our baggage storage for that very reason. We have notices telling guests not to leave money in there. We have try to document anything and everything.

So I can see why the hotel isn't apologizing...
Interesting post. May I ask which region you worked in? North America? High-end hotel operation? Thanks.