FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Money stolen under baggage storage - what should I do?
Old May 27, 2015, 10:44 am
rkrn

Unhappy Money stolen under baggage storage - what should I do?

I'm a long time lurker on this forum. Stayed 2 nights at a GH. Everything went smoothly until about $400 of cash was stolen from my wife's handbag during the 1 hour in their baggage storage room after we checked out. We went straight to the airport from the hotel parking garage and only discovered it en route.

Tried to report it via phone but was redirected to a person at the baggage storage, who claimed they would investigate it and call us back. No one called.

Followed up by sending an email to the hotel's homepage email and their 'Director of Rooms' gave me an opaque response claiming they had reviewed video surveillance and interviewed staff, were unable to find any evidence, and so couldn't compensate for our loss. No apology offered at the end of this explanation, sounds to me like they were felt that I had maligned them so they didn't want to offer an apology.

Very disappointed about this. I have been a SPG plat for several years and this was my first stay on the elite tier offer as I'm considering to switch over. I hadn't even requested for any kind of compensation throughout my contact with them and I've already spent 10x the value of that theft at Hyatt in the last 10 days. I don't even fit the profile of someone who would fabricate the story. I guess they just don't want my business.

Question: I don't want to name the specific property until I am absolutely certain and have heard the full story from their upper management. The property is in Asia. Is there a recommended way for me to reach higher management to reassess the evidence objectively? Anything else I should do?

Thanks!