FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta pilot orders pizza for angry passengers
Old May 27, 2015, 9:58 am
OB one
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Was part of the ATL mess yesterday. Flying NRT ATL, we were diverted to CLT as ATL was closed and we needed to refuel after flying waiting for an opening into ATL. Originally we were told that we could deplane in CLT if we wanted but I never saw anyone get off when the door was open while we were refueling. We sat at CLT for 3 hours.

As we landed in CLT at 4 pm I called DL and was protected on a flight CLT CVG BOS leaving CLT at 5:55 but that window came and went as we sat on the tarmac so I called again as it was clear we were all headed back to ATL and we got in at 8 pm. With a second call, DL put me on the 9:40 ATL BOS. That fight eventually left at 1:40 am and got into BOS at 3:45 am.

The line in the club near A17 for rebooking was constantly 10-20 people long for hours. They kept the club open well past midnight when I left it. The lines in the terminal were at least 100 people long.

Word was that 30 DL flights had been diverted to CLT, Knoxville, Jacksonville, Raleigh, Nashville. The guy next to me on the ATL BOS leg actually was had his TPA ATL diverted to JAX after he had jumped on an earlier flight and his original flight TPA ATL BOS somehow made it to BOS on time while he sat and waited in JAX and ATL.

I will say that I was amazed at the lack of vitriol. I thought I would see people losing it, both workers and passengers. While nobody was happy, most people were coping as best as possible.