FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The cashless toll road trap: FL and others
Old May 27, 2015, 9:16 am
Xyzzy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
According to the Hertz site they offer PlatePass to use on the FasTrak system for the Greater San Francisco Bay Area Bridges.

You will be charged a $4.95 service fee for each day of the rental including any days on which PlatePass® is not used, up to a maximum of $24.75 per rental, plus incurred tolls at the Toll Authority's cash toll rate or highest undiscounted toll rate.

What a ripoff!

PS, PlatePass is owned by American Traffic Solutions who is responsible for most of the red light and speed cameras in the country.
I travel to the SF area frequently and have one of their FasTrak transponders. I like to register my transponder with my rental vehicle so I don't get a surprise if my transponder does not work. It seems that this is not possible with Hertz in CA as they pre-register every one of their vehicles and this can not be changed. Thankfully, the one time my transponder failed to work I was in a car rented from a different cmpany.