FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fare changes when bereaved - your experience?
Old May 27, 2015, 3:41 am
LostAntipod

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Fare changes when bereaved - your experience?

I’m interested to hear the experiences of fellow Flyertalkers on the topic of airline ticket charges in the case of a close bereavement….if only to manage my own expectations. How did your airline react ?

I recently booked LHR-SYD-LHR with Etihad in J, as my elderly mother was nearing the end of her days and I wanted to be there. Unfortunately, she beat me to it by two weeks. On the day of receiving the news, I contacted Etihad to bring forward my outbound flight. I was required to pay the a full fare re-calculation plus change fees , some £1200. This is something I completely accept in the normal course of events but in circumstances beyond my control, and perhaps unfairly on my part, I didn’t expect this. (I won’t go into the detail of how poor the re-booking experience was by any standard , let alone a premium call centre for top tier members). In the end, after over a month elapsed including chasing EY and supplying a death certificate, I’m being refunded a £275 change fee.

But I recall a budget holiday to Spain over a decade ago , during which my wife’s grandma unexpectedly died, and I don’t recall any real cost or hassle from the airline in bringing us back the next day - it was all handled in one call as well. Hence my question – if you’ve been in my shoes, how did you fare?

(Mods: feel free to move, I’m posting here as I consider this my “home” forum and with plenty of viewers who may have the experience)

Last edited by LostAntipod; May 27, 2015 at 3:43 am Reason: clarification