FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA/US 2.5 week business trip PHX/LHR/MUC/ARN/DUB/BOS
Old May 26, 2015, 7:15 pm
dylanks

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
May 12: Arrival in London

May 12

The report for today is a bit light on photos as I was apparently too tired to take out the camera, so I've included a couple of randomly related photos.

Upon landing at LHR T5B, I chose the transit train and it arrived right as I did, so at least this time, it was faster than walking via the tunnels.

Fast track immigration was anything but fast. It feels like they are intentionally limiting the rate for non-UK passport holders, in order to get them to pay for the new trusted traveler scheme. I considered the offer, but the price is five times the annual price of the US Global Entry program, and does not include the equivalent of TSA PreCheck.

After a 30-40 minute wait, I was quickly processed, and I was told about the trusted traveler program. I said it seemed expensive for what it is, and maybe they should have more than two people assigned to the fast track queue! If this is how they are going to process fast track, I may have no choice, however, the e-gate queue looked equally slow. The fastest queue actually appeared to be the non fast track lane.

My bags were ready as soon as I made my way downstairs. I then made my way down to the Heathrow Express. While I am normally fine with the tube for getting to most of London, I used the express train as I was staying close to Paddington, and it's a better experience when you have checked bags due to the space for luggage.

After a quick 20 minute ride on the Heathrow Express, I made the five minute walk to the Hilton Metropole and checked-in. Check-in was quickly processed and I found my room on the 11th floor with a view facing north looking at Edgware Road. The Metropole is undergoing major renovations in the lobby area. The room itself was basic and like Old First, a bit tired, but was fine for two nights. The bed itself was very soft, and not in a good way, and did not make for particularly comfortable sleep. I grabbed some water and snacks for the room from M&S across the street. I also topped up my O2 account so I would have sufficient data on my unlocked iPhone while in the UK. These details are not particularly exciting, but are intended to share some of the things I do to quickly make business travel as efficient as possible.

After a quick shower, unpacking, and connecting to the wifi (free for basic service, or an actually usable service for £15/day), I made my way via the tube to the Clerkenwell area around 4pm for a quick meeting, and then I gave a talk at a meetup group in the evening. After the meetup, I spent a couple of hours talking to the attendees at a pub. I don't drink alcohol, so mostly I enjoyed water and chips. I made my way back to the Metropole a bit after 11pm. After a quick FaceTime chat with the wife and kids, and a short bit of work and fitness, I slept, or tried to at least.