FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Business Plus Class (A330, A340)
View Single Post
Old May 25, 2015, 4:44 pm
anabolism

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by spainflyer
To expand the info in posting #247. The configuration on the A340-500, long haul transatlantic, is 1-2-1.

In the window seats, the odd rows are placed away from the aisle, in the even rows you are next to the aisle.

And: in the middle pairs, the odd numbered rows have seats that are separated by their storage areas and tray tables. In the even numbered rows the two passengers are right next to each other, and the storage spaces are next to the aisles.

If all this seems a bit confusing, no wonder. These aircraft left the Airbus factory as A340-600s. But after Iberia re-configured, they branded them A340-500s. On the standard online seating charts, an Iberia A340-500 is nowhere to be found and the seat maps are for the A340-600.

SeatGuru shows 2-2-2. So does SeatPlans.com. SeatExpert doesn’t deal with Iberia, and AirlineQuality takes you to FlatSeats, which tries to take you to Iberia’s own seat maps which, of course, are out of order.

Got that??
Thanks! I'm booked on an IB A340-600 EZE-MAD next April, and seatguru, IB, and expertflyer all show it as 2-2-2 but I realize from the info here that's just the way the seat maps are drawn.

As a solo traveler, I picked 1A since it looked like a seat with good privacy and easy to get in/out of. But then I saw:

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
If you are hoping to get some sleep I'd avoid the first row. You get glare from the galley, they don't shut the curtain.
How much of a problem is this in 1A on an A340-600 (or A340-500 as posts here call it)?