FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Visiting Charleston in April - Where To Stay And How To Get Around?
Old May 24, 2015, 7:55 pm
onthego15

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
I'm visiting Charleston in April of next year with my parents (both pensioners but in pretty good shape). We're looking to do the tourist thing - my dad definitely wants to see Fort Sumter and other Civil War related sites and spots of interest but my mum and I wanted to soak up the atmosphere of the city.

Any folks here able to advise on the best general location in the city to look for a hotel (any hotel recs would also be gratefully received - we're looking at decent 3*/4* properties and chains are fine)?

Also, is it relatively easy to get around the city on foot in April? I know that it's very humid in summer but don't know if April's likely to also be unbearable. If it's not walkable, will I need a car or is there a public transport/taxi option that's reasonably priced?

No doubt I'll have other stupid questions as April draws nearer so apologies in advance!

1F
April is my favorite time to be in Charleston. Weather is very nice then. Normal temperatures are highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s.
Downtown Charleston is very walkable. There is lots to see and do downtown.
Fort Sumter ferry leaves from downtown.
There is also much to see outside Charleston. For example April is a wonderful time to see the gardens. Also, if your Dad really wants to see lots of Civil War sites, he may want to get outside downtown.
There are many tour companies operating in Charleston, so it is possible to get to outlying sites without having your own car.