FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Throwaway ticketing advice
View Single Post
Old May 24, 2015, 8:13 am
lee333

Programs: BA Exec - Gold, Virgin - Gold, Delta - Silver, Priority Pass
Smile Throwaway ticketing advice

Hi there - Having researched this I know it can be a contentious issue and a practice that I've never undertaken, but I need some help if possible...

To get a crazy fare I have booked a flight from DUB-LHR-LAX-LHR-DUB flying Aer Lingus business class on the Irish Leg and VA UC on the LA leg.

I will be positioned in Dublin to start so that's no problem, but the very last flight (of all four) from LHR-DUB is the one I don't want/need to take.

I booked this through Orbitz and as you can see it's with two different carriers. I just want to know if I will get all of my miles and tier earnings with VA if I drop the last flight and if this is likely to cause me any grief? I'm not worried about Aer Lingus from a loyalty point of view as I seldom fly with them, but would be good to know if anyone has experience of this. If the miles and tier point with VA would be in jeopardy I'd bite the bullet and book a final flight back from DUB-LHR.

I am working on the assumption that I will ask the check-in desk at LAX to only check my bag through to LHR.

Many thanks - Lee