FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LUS: Reminisce / Nostalgia: "Goodbye US Airways" - tributes, photo essays, etc.
Old May 23, 2015, 3:04 pm
CMK10
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've been flying US Airways and US Air for a long time. I grew up just outside New York City and I had grandparents in Winston-Salem. To me, US will always be the airline of the southeast. Our yearly LGA and sometimes EWR-GSO trips led to some classic aircraft in the 1990's that I always associate with US: DC-9-30s, 737-400s, Fokker-100s. Once LGA-GSO was cancelled and my UM brother and I were rebooked LGA-DCA-GSO with both flights being on mainline aircraft.

More recently I will remember US Airways as a dependable airline for affordalbe last minute and/or one-way fares. There were many trips I took on them that I wouldn't have been able to fly had US not had the fare I needed.

On the HP side, I went to Arizona State and have found memories flying on the $39 one-ways from PHX to the LA Area, San Diego and Las Vegas. Upgrades were pretty easy on the short sectors even as a Silver and I had enjoyable flights drinking Jack and Pepsi and watching the Cranium trivia they used to play on the IFE. Especially on those ancient 757s they'd gotten from Eastern and Northwest.