FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Club level in Seoul (city hall)
View Single Post
Old May 22, 2015, 3:03 am
Aventine
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stygian7
Had a chance to stay at the Westin and so far as the club lounge goes, I was a bit disappointed. The quality of the food/drinks was great, but the availability was poor.

On my arrival night, I was disappointed to realize that the club lounge closes promptly at 10pm. As my arrival was late and the transit takes about 50 minutes, I was unable to visit the lounge at all that evening.

Breakfast was excellent, with a wide selection. I found the staff to be courteous, but in a very superficial way. This was my fist visit to S. Korea, so maybe I am reading things wrong on this point.

I wander about during the day and generally return to the hotel in the evening. I found that by the time I returned back, showered and ate a meal, the club lounge cocktail hour was over. As far as I could tell, the only time alcohol was available was from 6-8pm. I prefer to have an evening drink or two around 10-11pm, so that didn't work out.
The atmosphere of the lounge was pleasant, but not terribly relaxing. Things are set up in an almost restaurant style with tables and chairs filling the space. The lounge lacked cushy seating in any area, though some of the tables had cushioned benches that were okay.

I recently stayed at Langham Place in Hong Kong and loved it; I was hoping for something similar, though the bar has been set high. The Langham club lounge was open late, had a consistent food selection throughout the day, and there was alcohol any time they were open, the staff there went out of their way to make me feel at home. Granted, I paid significantly more for my stay there...

I will be returning to Seoul in July; given my comments, are there other hotels I should consider. I did enjoy the city hall area, but would consider other areas. Is the Lotte near city hall more my style or would I be disappointed there as well?
Shilla's executive lounge is quite comfortable. Plush chairs, sofas and a wide selection of alcoholic beverages, drinks and decent to good fare.

JW Marriott Dongdaemun has a very comfortable lounge as well. However, the lounge was kind of going downhill about 3 months ago when they cut the quality, quantity of the juices and finger foods. This on top of already cutting the ice cream and sorbet they had at opening. Dongdaemun is an up and coming area in Seoul with the DDP design plaza.

Conrad also has an executive lounge. I haven't been there in years but it was nice from memory.
I don't think hotels in Korea give alcohol outside of the evening hours though. Grand Hyatt gives tea, side drinks and coffee but I've never asked for alcohol during the day. Maybe I will try next time and report back here.