FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA: RDU-GRU $447 (12,344 miles, 3.6 cpm)
View Single Post
Old May 20, 2015, 10:02 pm
FlyerJT

Programs: AA PlatPro, Asiana Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hogo74
Thanks OP for a great deal. I had looked at those fares yesterday morning when they were around $550, then saw your post and put one on hold for $442. I purchased it this evening.

On a US passport, I would not risk traveling without a visa, but a few years ago I traveled twice on an EU passport and did an immediate turn *without* going through Brazilian immigration and customs. Because of the EU passport, the lack of a visa obviously wasn't a problem when checking in.

I arrived at GRU in the morning and returned to MIA on the daytime flight. I had my return boarding pass printed out prior to leaving the US. Upon deplaning, I approached one of the ground staff meeting the plane, showed my return boarding pass, and asked if I could go to the departure area without going through immigration and customs. They were a bit perplexed at the situation at first - someone returning straight back to where they were coming from - but after a bit of discussion between some ground staff members, they opened the sliding glass door separating the corridor leading to immigration from the departure gate area and let me through. I later was called to the podium for some additional passport check and carry-on screening, but overall it was a fairly smooth process, and it worked twice within a few weeks.
Thanks for the report. I would still recommend any US passport holders to have a Brazilian visa. United was checking everyone's passport and/or visa on my IAH-GIG flight last July. When I inquired, the agent said that there were steep fines on the airline if they let anyone board without a visa. So, it is extremely risky to show up to your flights to Brazil without a visa. Even if you are technically right, it doesn't mean that the airline will let you board!