FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Amsterdam
View Single Post
Old May 20, 2015, 3:35 pm
edgewood49

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Another opinion, is that the #197 (express) bus to/from Schiphol is easier (to Leidseplein for the Marriott) than the train.

While I never take the #197 from Leidseplein (I take it further along, in Oud Zuid); I do believe it is approximately a block from the Marriott.

Remember, when you take the train, you need to navigate lots of stairs with lots of people and lots of bags (per this scenario above of a family of 7). With the bus, you just hop off and walk a block +/- to the Marriott (no stairs up/down etc.). It's really a great express bus (#197), and there would never be a reason to go from the Marriott to Centraal to Schiphol. It's a common misconception that the best way to/from Schiphol is the train. I mean, it's a fine way to/from the airport but not always the best way. I also feel, it's easier to keep a group together/organized on the bus to/from the airport.

Regarding location, that's subjective; but I believe overall the Marriott is a better location unless you have a huge desire to be closer to Red Light, more "coffee shops," more lousy (tourist oriented) restaurants and a much noisier and crowded area. Don't get me wrong, we often do quick one nights at the Renaissance (because it is sooooo cheap with our corporate rate); just taking a step back, as tourists and a family I would prefer the location of the Marriott.

Also, remember, it's a super small city. Leidseplein to Centrum is a short walk/tram/bike ride.
The 197 (Red) drops you off right across the street in the middle of the bridge very short hop to the hotel, can not get any better than that. Cheap too