FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Living on a cruise ship for 7 years...
View Single Post
Old May 20, 2015, 1:46 am
KathyWdrf
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
Yes, I travel solo, and these were technically repositioning cruises, not the standard transatlantic cruises on Cunard. I have always paid the standard single supplement.....it never occurred to me to ask to have it waived. I can't imagine they would, anyway, as the ship was almost entirely booked on both my transoceanic cruises that I've taken in the last 3 years. I think on the transatlantic (spring 2012 Miami to Lisbon) there were less than a half dozen empty cabins, and on the transpacific (fall 2014 San Diego to Auckland) every cabin was booked. Both were on Crystal, and both had a single supplement of 30% or less on a window cabin.
30% is a very low single supplement. On some cruise lines (e.g. Princess), it is ~100%! In other words, you pay double (except for port taxes). But, I have sometimes taken short repositioning cruises on Princess where the sale prices essentially eliminated the single supplement. I look for these kinds of bargains on cruise fares.