FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Honeymoon Planning - January 2016
View Single Post
Old May 19, 2015, 11:35 am
arlflyer

Some might argue that this should be in the AA forum, but...

Originally Posted by cashcow
I'm sitting on almost 1 mil AA miles, 100,000 Chase UR that can be transferred, about to have 110,000 Delta miles, and could possibly obtain some United miles if needed. We can connect in North America using our companion pass and Southwest miles if need be.
Keep it all on one alliance. Less to worry about in case of IRROPS. Oneworld is strong to Asia and you have tons of AA miles.

I'm relatively new to booking award tickets on partner airlines. I've researched quite a bit and it seems the most common routing to BKK is through Tokyo or HKG via Cathay or Japan Airlines?
From North America and on oneworld, that is correct, yes. There is also AA metal to the Asian hubs, but I wouldn't recommend that.

I'm seeing basically nothing through DFW. But Am I allowed to fly LBB-DFW-SFO/LAX on the same award ticket at no extra charge if I can't get something out of DFW?
Yes, and I would advise it. You could also go to ORD, JFK, YYZ, YVR, etc. too.

And it also seems that I can't book Qatar/Etihad because it's counted as 2 awards which would be more than 2x the miles required on the CX/JAL routing, correct?
Sure, you can book whatever you want. You're correct, though, that it's going to cost a lot more. But, if you're sitting on a million AA miles, well, the ME carriers are quite nice...

What am I missing? Should I be looking at any airlines that can't be searched on BA's award tool?
Etihad if you're willing to part with the miles, don't mind the distance, and are finding poor availability with the Asian carriers. Awards have to be searched on Etihad's site.

Any suggestions are welcome, and I'm not afraid to read or learn. Could just use a little help here.
Note that if you're using BA.com, it's best to search leg by leg. Try to nail down a TPAC leg first, and then work backwards from there. Check all possible origins!