FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do I need to carry a passport if I have Nexus
Old May 18, 2015, 12:18 pm
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kris Morness
Here's the rule of thumb using Nexus:
1. When doing land border crossings, Nexus is all you need. And I've done about 100+ land crossings and never carried my passport. Make sure you passport is valid (not expired) and linked to your Nexus, or you will be in trouble. If your passport expires, do not attempt to use Nexus until after you get your replacement and go online to link the new passport number to your Nexus account.
If you have any special circumstances, like a visa, you absolutely need your passport for land border crossings.

Originally Posted by Kris Morness
2. When flying, Nexus is all you need for customs... however, you will likely have problems with various airlines that still expect to see your passport. Obviously if you are flying outside of Canada/USA, you have to bring your passport.
I was told when I applied that I needed to carry my passport for air travel. And given the number of times I've been asked for my passport when using NEXUS (a number greater than 0), it's just not worth the risk.

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
GE machines read nexus card or passport. I always use my nexus card but do travel with my passport. Technically I don't believe you require a passport when entering the U.S. but you do need one for Canada if arriving by plane.
I've also been told very explicitly by several CPB officers to not use my NEXUS card in the GE machine. They can tell by the receipt printout, and they don't like it.