FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Living on a cruise ship for 7 years...
View Single Post
Old May 18, 2015, 6:03 am
Calliopeflyer

Originally Posted by piper28
Heh, well, except for the meat grinder part, yeah, this is true. Obviously it's going to be somewhat correlated to the ship size, but these days with any fair sized ship, my understanding is that it's actually fairly normal to have a passenger die on any given sailing. A lot of people eating a lot of rich food they're not used to and getting a lot more exercise than they're used to. Makes for a bad combination.

I know one recent cruise I was on we had ambulances meet us at every port. I haven't been on a cruise that required an airlift off, although I know my parents have. I have been on a cruise that returned to port after leaving because of a medical emergency. But cruise ship captains must be miracle workers, because according to them, every time they update you on the evacuated passenger's status, they're always doing much better .
I knew there was a morgue on board cruise ships these days, and that it is not uncommon for a passengers to die (of natural causes) on board. I'd be happy if that's how I went

I am a big fan of transoceanic port-light cruises, so I wouldn't be surprised to see an airlift one of these days, especially since my current cruise line of choice has an average age of about 70 on those longer cruises.

The website cruiseshipdeaths.com is kind of interesting reading, but it's really maritime-related deaths (ferries and shore excursions from ships).