FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Impressions of BA from a Qatar Platinum
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2015, 9:18 am
Phil the Flyer

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Cambrian

What is even more worrying for BA is that now QR are part of oneworld I am seeing increasing numbers of BA Golds on QR flights. Does BA even care?
Based upon this flight, I don't think that QR need be too worried about the competition.
I'm one of those BAEC Golds you refer to on QR flights.

My regular journey is LHR-CAI and vice-versa. I flew QR J LHR-DOH-CAI on 17 April and BA J LHR-CAI on 4 May. Here's my experience (QR first / BA second):

1. Check-in: QR - priority check-in formalities completed in two minutes / BA - Club World check-in queued for six or seven minutes, and then got directed to a World Traveller check-in desk. Winner - QR.

2. Luggage allowance: QR - 3 x 20kgs (60kgs) / BA - 4 x 32 kg (128kgs). Winner - BA.

3. Lounge: QR - LHR T4 lounge (brilliant) with huge food and wine selection / BA - LHR T1 lounge (abysmal, it should be demolished - oh wait, it's about to be) with two soups and a few sandwiches. Winner - QR.

4. Boarding: QR priority boarding via separate door / BA - what's priority boarding? Constantly bashed in my CW aisle seat by the carry-on bags of WT+/WT passengers walking by as everyone boarded at door 1L. Winner - QR.

5. Aircraft: QR - A380 (seat 11A, with window and direct aisle access - spacious) / BA - B767 (seat 1E, rearward-facing aisle seat - extremely narrow with limited shoulder space). Winner - QR.

6. Cabin crew: QR - the usual multi-national, charming, smiling, nothing-is-too-much-trouble, ladies / BA - a fifty-something CSD (Jane J), who was absolutely brilliant; energetic, engaging and a wonderful personality!! Winner - surprisingly, on this one occasion, BA.

7. Food: Winner - QR.

8. Alcohol: Winner - QR (and did I mention the A380 F/J upper-deck bar)?

9. In-flight entertainment: no contest! Winner - QR.

10. Door-to-door (i.e. LHR-CAI timing): Winner - BA, by many hours.

11. Cost of ticket: Winner - QR, by many hundreds of GBP (approx 60% of the cost of BA).

These days I'm only flying the minimum number of BA sectors required to re-qualify for BAEC Gold.

I read with incredulity those who report QR cabin crew are just going through the motions: it's a two-way relationship - smile, exchange pleasantries, crack a joke, and the QR ladies are wonderful.

I've been more than willing to sing the praises of BA in the past - but they're nowhere near as good as they were even two or three years ago. Sad, really.