FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JFK-HKG F v J
Thread: JFK-HKG F v J
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2015, 9:36 pm
ricktoronto

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I'm booked in F on an award ticket coming up JFK-YVR-HKG. But award space on a more preferable day has opened up in J.

Is there really that big of a difference between the J product and the F product on this route going direct since I won't get access to the F lounge in HKG anyway, only the arrivals lounge that J gets too in HKG. Is there a lounge difference in JFK? The seats are both lie flat, and while the F seat is slightly preferable, I have sat in both and find them both very comfrotable.. Am I really missing out on anything that special by changing to J?
There's a difference but not like Y to J. If you are paying cash, it is not worth $3000+ for a 24" wide hotel room with decent food when you think about what that would buy at the Peninsula in HK, for example.

For points it depends on the difference and what they are worth in money (to you, that is).

I flew CX F YYZ HKG a couple times when the J seats were the old style bathtubs, F was sold as A for around $7-9,000 or so, vs. old J in $5000-5500. Then they dropped F totally ex-YYZ with the new seats. They also saved me at least $3000 a trip. The $3000 is a lot better.

Stopping in YVR into a dog run is not so great either.