FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 7 years in China - ask me anything
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2015, 7:01 pm
cfisher6

Since we've moved to beer, I was really excited when I moved back to China a few months ago and found that there was now an abundance of foreign beer -- truly foreign, imported beer, mostly Belgian and German -- in my small Shandong city. Last year there were a few "alternative" bars that carried some Belgians for ridiculous prices (50 rmb for a Delirium?), and supermarkets were increasing their selection, but mostly if I wanted a good strong ale I had to order off Taobao. Years before that -- forget about it. There was once a foreign bar in the city that carried a huge variety, but after the Siemens employees whose incomes supported the bar left, it closed doors. For years after it closed, our only choice was 'made in China' Carlsberg, Heineken, Guinness* and some German varieties.

Now there are 1-2 import alcohol stores in every mall selling Belgians at prices above Taobao but with more convenience. Nearly every supermarket carries 10-20 German varieties, and a bar isn't a bar without a minimum of 5-6 true imports.

I never used to be so pessimistic, but now I've got a new problem. I want to introduce my Chinese friends to some quality imported beers, and generally they really like what I've been sharing. However, they can't seem to drop the ganbei culture. I took a friend to try some Tripel Karmeliet (8.4%) beer that a bar had on sale the other day, and after we poured into a fine chalice glass, he toasted and downed half the beer, then gave me grief for wanting to take my time. This continued for three bottles before I realized my wallet and liver couldn't handle it, and we moved to some BBQ and cheap local brews. I just can't win.

*I'm not sure if the Guiness is made in China.