FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2015 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004
Old May 14, 2015, 3:45 am
bigRW

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
I think you would have a very good case for making a claim.
The outbound aircraft was spewing fuel all over T5 B in the high winds..... I have photo/video of this ever you need them for your claim.
BA may have opted to repair this but as LHR is the primary operating base for the airline there is an expectation under the directive that airlines will (within reason) have back up aircraft on standby or substitution when such events occur. Same with crews. If BA have chosen not to deploy an alternative aircraft or supply an alterative crew to minimalize the delay, especially when the problem occurs at home base then they are liable to pay out for the delay.

BA paid out on a similar situation to a flight I took AUH-LHR earlier this year where the delay affected the aircraft operating the outbound sector. It was an operational decision of the airline to maintain the existing aircraft in service than to sub an alternative.
Thank you very much for this. The only problem I can see is that the ground staff said they did then try to send a substitute aircraft (several hours later) but were denied landing by immigration....