FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel News Forum: close, re-purpose or merge with TravelBuzz?
Old May 13, 2015, 4:03 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Thank you. Well-said.

Along with military aviation, Travel News has turned out to be a good home for stories about specific airframes/aircraft that are not airline-specific in their import.

I just ran some quick numbers:

A little over 40% of of the last 46 threads were either closed because the topic was already being discussed in a more appropriate forum (thus keeping FT from having that ever-so-frustrating phenomenon of the same topic being discussed in multiple places -- very unfriendly to those seeking information) or moved to a more appropriate forum.

Put another way 3/5 of all the threads were on-topic for the forum and would have fit no where else as readily.

As for the putative "redundancy" criterion, if threads with topics already being discussed in the most appropriate forums were in fact left open in Travel News, then you would have actual redundancy.

But keeping a close eye on the forum on most days means that FT'ers won't in fact be subjected to the confusion of redundant open threads on a topic.
I'm not trying to discuss specific moderator actions, but are the threads being closed (to further posts) or moved to the more appropriate forum and, if necessary, merged with another thread there, with the pointer remaining in Travel News? I realize that the latter is more work, but it contradicts the logic of having all information about a topic in one place on FT.